Navigating a Binge Eating Disorder Diagnosis in Portland
Before families begin exploring binge eating disorder therapy options, it’s a good idea to learn more about common binge eating disorder side effects. With the help of early intervention, successful binge eating disorder recovery is possible.
Common Signs and Symptoms
- Binge eating disorder typically causes great fluctuations in an individual’s overall weight and body shape. This can quickly lead to feelings of depression, anxiety and the development of a negative body image.
- Binge eating disorder in adolescents often results in the development of certain food rituals that include only eating foods in a particular order and cutting out entire food groups altogether. These rituals are similar to obsessive-compulsive behaviors and may result in feelings of embarrassment, leading teens to withdraw from their regular social commitments.
- Adolescents with binge eating disorder also work hard to hide their condition from loved ones by hoarding or hiding food. If parents notice empty food containers and wrappers hidden or disposed of in secret, it may be time to seek professional help.
Potential Long-Term Health Risks
- Teens with binge eating disorder have an increased risk of becoming overweight or obese. When a person consumes large amounts of food without properly exercising, it’s also normal to experience great fluctuations in weight.
- It’s also common for teens with this type of eating disorder to binge on foods that are high in sugars and fats, but low in protein. Over time, these poor dietary choices can not only lead to the development of obesity but may also increase the chances of developing serious health conditions like type 2 diabetes.
- Obesity in teens may also increase the chances of dealing with other serious health conditions. Some of the most common negative health conditions related to the development of binge eating disorder include heart disease, sleep apnea, cancer, high blood pressure, and arthritis.
The Good News: Binge Eating Disorder Recovery in Portland, OR
Portland is one of the most beloved and well-known cities in the Pacific Northwest. Known for its rich history, great outdoor spaces and hip art scene, Portland is a popular destination for visitors from around the world. At Clementine, we love Portland because it offers an ideal retreat for our clients. With a convenient location and plenty of natural beauty, Portland is a great place to discover the tools needed to begin binge eating disorder therapy.
Adolescent Binge Eating Disorder Treatment at Clementine
With the help of a strong support system and comprehensive eating disorder treatment, long-term recovery from binge eating disorder is possible. If you or a loved one have been diagnosed with binge eating disorder and want more about our comprehensive adolescent treatment program, please call us at 855.900.2221 to speak with one of our empathetic admissions specialists today.
We’re Here to Help
Get started on your journey to recovery.
All submissions are confidential. An admissions specialist will call you soon.