Binge Eating Disorder Therapy in Miami
Before parents begin the search for a comprehensive eating disorder treatment program, it’s important to learn more about the specifics surrounding binge eating disorder in teens, common symptoms and possible side effects. With the help of early intervention, long-term binge eating disorder recovery is possible.
Common Signs and Symptoms
- Adolescents with this type of eating disorder engage in secret, recurring episodes of binge eating, often feeling a lack of control over the amount of food they eat. They may binge eat when they aren’t physically hungry, hide or hoard food and avoid regular social engagements to hide their disordered behaviors.
- Teens with binge eating disorder may also experience great fluctuations in their overall weight and body shape. Over time, these changes can exacerbate a negative body image and lead to dangerous fad dieting.
- Developing food rituals is another common sign of binge eating disorder in adolescents. Individuals may cut out entire food groups, only eat their food in a certain order or never allow their food to touch. This often leads to feelings of embarrassment and can cause teens to withdraw or simply avoid eating around others.
Long-Term Health Risks of Binge Eating Disorder
- Because adolescents with binge eating disorder regularly eat large amounts of food without exercising or engaging in dangerous compensatory behaviors, they are at risk of becoming overweight or obese.
- Teens with binge eating disorder also tend to favor foods that are high in sugars and fats instead of foods that are high in protein and fiber. Over time, this negative eating cycle can not only result in obesity but increases the chance that young people will develop serious health conditions like type 2 diabetes.
- Additionally, being overweight or obese raises an individual’s chances of experiencing other long-term health complications like heart disease, sleep apnea, high blood pressure, arthritis, and cancer.
The Good News — Binge Eating Disorder Therapy in Miami
Miami is a beautiful and relaxing vacation destination famous worldwide as one of the most desirable cities in South Florida. This welcoming city is a great destination for anyone who is looking for a retreat from daily life and is ready to focus on recovery. We love Miami because it offers our eating disorder treatment clients and their families a place to relax and discover the tools they need to begin binge eating therapy.
Residential Binge Eating Disorder Treatment in Miami
While a binge eating disorder diagnosis can be frightening for parents and teens at first, long-term recovery is possible. If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with binge eating disorder and are interested in learning more about the benefits of comprehensive inpatient treatment in Miami, call us today at 855.900.2221 to speak with one of our empathetic admissions specialists.
We’re Here to Help
Get started on your journey to recovery.
All submissions are confidential. An admissions specialist will call you soon.