Understanding Your Binge Eating Disorder Diagnosis
Mental health conditions like eating disorders not only disrupt the lives of our clients but their family and loved ones as well. Before parents begin searching for residential eating disorder treatment in Malibu Lake, it’s important to learn more about the side effects associated with the condition.
Common Signs and Symptoms
- It is very common for people with binge eating disorder to have feelings of shame or guilt surrounding their disordered eating habits and behaviors. Over time, these feelings can cause them to hide or hoard food, eat their meals alone and withdraw from social activities that once brought them joy.
- Individuals with this type of eating disorder often experience great fluctuations in their weight. Because binge eating disorder has many similarities with other mental health conditions like obsessive-compulsive disorder, it’s common for people with the condition to obsess over food, weight and body shape. This typically leads to frequent dieting and a distorted body image.
- The development of food rituals is something that loved ones may also notice over time. Whether you notice that your child is only interested in eating one particular food group, they don’t allow their foods to touch, or they chew excessively at mealtimes: these issues are all common signs of disordered eating behaviors.
Potential Long-Term Health Risks
- Many people with binge eating disorder experience great fluctuations in weight are medically overweight or obese. And because they do not engage in regular compensatory behaviors or purging behaviors following a binge, they often experience feelings of low self-esteem and depression.
- When people have binge eating episodes, they tend to eat foods that are higher in fat and sugar and low in protein. Without treatment, this can result in the development of type 2 diabetes, a condition with life-long health complications.
- Other serious health risks associated with binge eating disorder and obesity include high blood pressure, sleep apnea, certain cancers, and heart disease.
The Good News: Binge Eating Disorder Recovery in Malibu Lake
The town of Malibu Lake is located within the Agoura Hills area nestled in the heart of the beautiful Santa Monica Mountains. As part of Los Angeles County, Malibu Lake offers the perfect blend of sunny southern California retreat with access to the big city. In fact, we believe that Malibu Lake is an ideal retreat for those entering into eating disorder recovery.
Learn More About Adolescent Binge Eating Disorder Treatment at Clementine
At Clementine, we are dedicated to guiding our adolescent clients and their families along on the journey towards long-term eating disorder recovery. If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with binge eating disorder and are searching for a comprehensive residential treatment program in Malibu Lake, call us at 855.900.2221 to speak with one of our friendly admissions specialists today.
We’re Here to Help
Get started on your journey to recovery.
All submissions are confidential. An admissions specialist will call you soon.