Navigating a Binge Eating Disorder Diagnosis in Houston
Before searching for the best residential eating disorder treatment in Houston, it’s wise to learn more about potential binge eating disorder side effects. With the help of early intervention and a program designed for teens, it is possible to avoid many of the long-term health risks associated with the condition.
Common Signs and Symptoms
- Adolescents with binge eating disorder often experience feelings of shame or guilt surrounding their binge eating habits. This can cause them to hide or hoard food, begin eating in secret and withdraw from once beloved social activities.
- It is also very common for teens with this type of eating disorder to experience great fluctuations in their weight. This can result in an obsession with one’s overall weight and body shape, leading to frequent dieting or drastic measures like cutting out entire food groups.
- The development of food rituals that are similar to common obsessive-compulsive behaviors is also a sign of binge eating disorder in teens. Whether parents notice that their child only wants to eat one particular food group, that they won’t allow their foods to touch or that they begin to chew each bite excessively at mealtime – these are all common signs of a deeper issue.
Potential Long-Term Health Risks
- Research shows that many people with binge eating disorder are overweight or obese. This is because most people with binge eating disorder consume great amounts of food and do not engage in any compensatory behaviors. Additionally, they often experience feelings of low self-esteem and depression.
- Binge eating episodes often feature foods that are higher in fats and sugars. These non-nutritious dietary choices can lead to obesity and the development of type 2 diabetes. While treatable, this condition can life-long health complications.
- Some other serious health conditions associated with obesity and binge eating disorder include sleep apnea, high blood pressure, heart disease, and certain cancers.
The Good News: Binge Eating Disorder Recovery in Houston
Houston is a popular travel destination for visitors from all over the US and beyond. Located on the Gulf Coast near Galveston Bay, Houston is well-known for its rich arts and cultural center, welcoming residents and temperate weather. We love Houston because it’s an ideal retreat to begin the recovery process.
Residential Eating Disorder Treatment in Houston, TX
At Clementine, we are dedicated to guiding adolescents and their loved ones along on the journey towards long-term eating disorder recovery. If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with binge eating disorder and are interested in learning more about our adolescent eating disorder programs, call us today at 855.900.2221 to speak with one of our compassionate admissions specialists.
We’re Here to Help
Get started on your journey to recovery.
All submissions are confidential. An admissions specialist will call you soon.