Bulimia nervosa is a pervasive disorder that affects women of all ages, although it is most prevalent among teenage girls. This disorder not only affects the individual’s quality of life, but can also lead to serious health consequences if not treated properly. It is essential for anyone diagnosed with bulimia eating disorder to seek treatment from a reputable facility. However, simply searching “bulimia treatment near me” is not the best way to find the right program.
A large number of facilities in the United States provide treatment to clients who have been diagnosed with bulimia nervosa. However, not all of these facilities provide the same quality treatment. Below is some information to help parents of teenage girls with bulimia nervosa understand the importance of quality treatment and how to find the right treatment center for your loved one.
Why Bulimia Nervosa Treatment Is Important
Bulimia nervosa is defined as episodes of binge eating, which involves consuming significant amounts of food in a single sitting. In order to compensate for binging, individuals may then engage in one or more behaviors designed to “purge” the body, such as laxative use, vomiting or excessive exercise. In some cases, people who have bulimia eating disorder will be at a weight appropriate for his or her height and body type. However, they usually fear weight gain, want to lose weight or are unhappy with the appearance of their body.
If an individual who has bulimia eating disorder does not receive treatment, she is likely to experience a variety of issues. Physical consequences of bulimia nervosa include gastrointestinal problems, sleep problems, dry skin and nails, dental problems, muscle weakness, impaired immune function and poor wound healing. People who use laxatives or vomit after binging may also experience imbalances in electrolytes and other important chemicals which can damage the organs. In some cases, cardiac arrest, an electrolyte imbalance or another acute problem related to bulimia nervosa can be fatal.
In addition to physical symptoms, bulimia nervosa can cause a host of emotional and psychological consequences. Individuals with bulimia nervosa may deal with shame and embarrassment because of their condition, often going to great lengths to hide it from friends and family. Some of these individuals also experience co-occurring psychological disorders, such as depression, anxiety or body dysmorphic disorder. An effective bulimia treatment program can help an individual successfully overcome this disorder.
How Bulimia Treatment Works
The exact cause of bulimia nervosa is not currently known, but researchers believe this disorder develops because of a combination of environmental, genetic and psychological factors. A girl is more likely to develop bulimia nervosa if she has a first-degree relative who was diagnosed with an eating disorder. Of note, females are more likely to develop bulimia nervosa than males.
Some individuals with bulimia nervosa also experience psychological and emotional problems, including substance use disorders, anxiety or depression. People with this condition may have a history of trauma. In most cases, an individual who has bulimia nervosa will also have a negative self-image that can contribute to the disorder.
Treatment for bulimia nervosa addresses the root cause of the issue. For example, most treatment programs for bulimia eating disorders include components designed to address the client’s negative self-image so she can learn to see her body in a more positive and accurate light. Bulimia treatment programs will also treat co-occurring psychological or emotional issues that may have contributed to the development or continuation of the disorder. As many clients with bulimia are consumed with losing weight or changing their appearance, many bulimia treatment programs will include educational and services to introduce mindful eating and movement practices.
Bulimia nervosa treatment programs may accomplish the above goals in a number of ways. One of the most common treatment approaches employed in bulimia treatment is psychotherapy, which provides the client an opportunity to discuss her feelings in a safe location with a professional who can provide constructive feedback and support. Many of these programs include group therapy sessions, which allow clients to interact with one another, receive support and encouragement from people who are dealing with similar issues and become part of an understanding, supportive community. In addition, bulimia nervosa programs may incorporate family therapy sessions to help the client build a stronger, more effective support system she can access after treatment.
In addition to addressing the underlying factors that lead to the development of bulimia nervosa, treatment programs should also address the client’s physical health. Clients diagnosed with bulimia may have already developed physical complications because of the disorder. Bulimia nervosa treatment programs may include medical services for clients, including doctor visits, medical testing, nursing care, or medication management.
Characteristics of Bulimia Treatment Programs
When comparing different bulimia treatment centers, there are a variety of different factors to consider. Some of these factors include:
- Approach to treatment: Every bulimia nervosa treatment program provides a unique approach to the treatment of this disorder, and each treatment approach works differently. Before choosing a treatment center, potential clients should research the facility’s approach to treatment and make sure they are comfortable with the program.
- Amenities: Different bulimia treatment centers offer different amenities to clients. For example, while some facilities offer basic accommodations, other bulimia treatment centers provide clients with access to a comfortable residence or more luxurious amenities to keep them comfortable and at ease during their stay.
- Services: The best bulimia treatment centers provide a range of treatment services designed to give clients a greater chance of achieving and maintaining recovery. Services that may be available include psychiatric care, medical care, family therapy, group therapy, treatment for co-occurring disorders, life skills development, nutrition services and education. Some facilities providing treatment for anorexia and bulimia also offer alternative therapies, such as exposure therapy.
- Location: Programs that treat patients with bulimia eating disorder are available across the nation. For many clients, the location of the treatment center is important, as it determines how far they will need to travel for treatment. Treatment centers closer to home make it easier for the clients’ family and friends to visit while they are in the program and to participate in the treatment process if requested.
- Cost: Treatment for anorexia, bulimia and other eating disorders can be expensive. Every treatment center determines the fees it will charge and the payments it will accept. For example, while some treatment centers may require clients to pay the entire cost of treatment out-of-pocket, others may accept payment from insurance providers. Parents of teenagers with bulimia should research a treatment center’s payment options to ensure they are comfortable with the financial considerations.
- Reputation: A bulimia treatment center’s reputation provides important information about the quality and effectiveness of treatment at that facility. To learn about a facility’s reputation, parents can search for the facility online, read reviews from past clients and read testimonials posted on the facility’s website.
Choosing the Right Bulimia Treatment Center Near You
When a parent of a teenager with bulimia nervosa is looking for a bulimia treatment center, he or she should consider all of the factors mentioned above. However, in some cases, it can be difficult to find a facility that provides all of the amenities or services the individual wants.
Some parents simply search “bulimia treatment near me” and choose the first treatment center they find. Other parents may be tempted to choose the treatment center located closest to their home. However, to make the best decision, parents should think carefully about their priorities with regard to the treatment experience. In general, ensuring the client is receiving high-quality treatment should be every parent’s most important goal, followed by other desires such as affordability or convenient location.
Treatment for Anorexia and Bulimia at Clementine
Clementine provides effective treatment for eating disorders like bulimia. At Clementine, treatment programs for bulimia are holistic, which means they focus on all aspects of the patient’s recovery. When an adolescent enrolls in one of our treatment programs, our multidisciplinary team takes the time to assess the client’s individual needs and develop a customized treatment program to meet those needs.
Our treatment program for bulimia eating disorders includes daily group therapy, weekly individual sessions, individual psychotherapy sessions twice weekly and individualized treatment for co-occurring disorders. Our treatment programs also incorporate life skills development and mindful movement. Before a client leaves the program, our team will create a detailed aftercare plan designed to facilitate a successful return home. This plan addresses a variety of issues clients may face after treatment, including academic reintegration, personalized meal plans and referrals to service providers.
Clementine offers the highest quality treatment options, comfortable accommodations and a wide range of experiences to provide our clients with the best chance of achieving full recovery. We collaborate with family members and ensure they are able to play an active role in their loved one’s treatment and recovery. Clementine offers a variety of payment options for the convenience of our clients, and we accept insurance from many of the top providers, including Aetna, Blue Cross Blue Shield, Humana and more. In some cases, Clementine is able to coordinate a single case agreement with an out-of-network provider.
If you are asking “where is the best bulimia treatment near me?” Clementine has several convenient locations to meet the needs of teenage girls from different areas. Our facilities provide are located in Virginia, New York, Oregon, and California. We also welcome clients from out of state.
If you are searching for a bulimia nervosa treatment facility for your child with an eating disorder, Clementine can help. Please contact us today to learn more about our programs.