Navigating Your Anorexia Nervosa Diagnosis in Malibu Lake
While an anorexia nervosa diagnosis can lead to a wide range of emotions, it’s important to take time to learn more about the condition before choosing an eating disorder treatment center. Without proper treatment, adolescents face many serious health complications as a result of the strain anorexia nervosa puts on the body.
Common Signs and Symptoms
- Anorexia nervosa typically begins to develop with an intense fear of gaining weight, even though people with this type of eating disorder are considered medically underweight. This fear of weight gain can result in a distorted or negative body image. For many teens, they believe the best way to hide their changing body shape is by wearing baggy clothing.
- People with anorexia nervosa also have a preoccupation with food, counting calories, fat grams, and fad dieting. As their condition develops, they may refuse to eat certain foods, refuse to eat in public and avoid mealtimes altogether.
- Maintaining a rigid and often excessive exercise routine is also very common for people with this type of eating disorder. In fact, parents may notice that their child sticks to their exercise routine despite inclement weather, illness, injury, fatigue and important social commitments.
Potential Long-Term Health Risks
- For women with bulimia nervosa, menstrual irregularities are very common. Women may experience infrequent periods or stop having them altogether. After recovery, it can take months or even years before their cycle returns to normal, causing fertility issues.
- Chronic dehydration and malnutrition are common health issues for teens with anorexia nervosa. While both conditions can be treated, they can have devastating long-term effects on growing teens and lead to serious complications in the heart, kidneys, and liver.
- Prolonged malnutrition can also cause developmental issues in the bones and muscles. In fact, many teens with untreated anorexia nervosa will develop some form of osteoporosis or osteopenia, which both increase the risk of frequent fractures and broken bones.
The Good News: Anorexia Nervosa Recovery in Malibu Lake
At Clementine anorexia nervosa treatment centers, we offer comprehensive eating disorder programs for adolescents that are designed to accommodate your busy school and lifestyle needs. Nestled in the Agoura Hills area of the beautiful Santa Monica Mountains, Malibu Lake offers our clients a warm and relaxing retreat to begin the anorexia nervosa recovery process.
Learn More About Anorexia Nervosa Treatment in Malibu Lake, CA
With the help of a strong support system at home and in treatment, long-term eating disorder recovery is possible. If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with anorexia nervosa disorder and are seeking a safe and home-like setting to complete treatment, please give us a call at 855.900.2221 to speak with our compassionate admissions specialists today.
We're Here to Help
Get started on your journey to recovery.
All submissions are confidential. An admissions specialist will call you soon.
Please see below for administrative numbers.