Navigating an Anorexia Nervosa Diagnosis in Briarcliff Manor
At Clementine, we understand just how frightening an anorexia nervosa diagnosis can be. But with the help a strong support system at home and comprehensive treatment, long-term recovery is possible. As parents begin searching for anorexia nervosa treatment centers, it’s helpful to learn more about the potential health consequences associated with this type of eating disorder.
Common Signs and Symptoms
- Adolescents with anorexia nervosa have an obsession with their body shape and weight. This often leads teens to focus much of their thoughts on reducing their overall calorie consumption and losing weight, even if they are considered to be medically underweight.
- This obsession with food and calories typically makes it difficult for teens with anorexia nervosa to eat around others. As the disorder develops, adolescents may begin to avoid mealtimes altogether or find excuses to skip out on their regular social commitments. This behavior often results in isolations and feeling of depression.
- Individuals with anorexia nervosa may also develop certain food rituals that are similar to common obsessive-compulsive behaviors. These food rituals may include chewing food excessively, eating foods in a particular order, cooking food for others without eating and restricting certain food groups altogether.
Potential Long-Term Health Risks
- Young women with anorexia nervosa often experience a disruption in their menstrual cycle – frequently missing periods or experiencing the absence of a period altogether. With treatment, their cycles will typically return to normal.
- Anorexia nervosa can also have lasting effects on childhood development. This type of eating disorder can cause bone development issues and lead to osteoporosis, increasing the chances of frequent bone fractures or breaks.
- If left untreated, anorexia nervosa can result in severe dehydration and electrolyte imbalances. These electrolyte imbalances are typically very serious and often lead to dangerous heart conditions including an irregular heartbeat, valve prolapse, and heart failure.
The Good News: Anorexia Nervosa Recovery in Briarcliff Manor, NY
Briarcliff Manor is a beautiful and welcoming village located just 30 miles north of New York City. This quaint and relaxing village is a popular destination for those seeking a retreat from daily life. At Clementine, we believe Briarcliff Manor is an ideal location for our clients to find the tools necessary to begin the anorexia nervosa recovery process.
Anorexia Nervosa Treatment for Adolescents at Clementine
The multifaceted team at Clementine is dedicated to guiding adolescents and their families along on the journey to long-term anorexia nervosa recovery in Briarcliff Manor, NY. If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with anorexia nervosa disorder and want to learn more about our comprehensive residential treatment program, please call us today at 855.900.2221 to speak with one of our friendly admission specialists.
We’re Here to Help
Get started on your journey to recovery.
All submissions are confidential. An admissions specialist will call you soon.